David Smith – economics editor of The Sunday Times
- February 5, 2021
- Posted by: G. Clarke
- Category: Uncategorized
@dsmitheconomics is a twitter handle which I have been referencing for years and I had always hoped that one day David might speak to EC students. Last year, that encounter almost came to pass and we even had a confirmed date in the diary. Unfortunately, the date coincided with the UK’s first lock down! Fast forward almost a year and we calendared a date for a Zoom meeting. How exciting!
As you might expect, David’s talk focused on the economics of the pandemic, particularly:
- the interdependence of economies;
- the resilience of firms, households and employees, and their ability to adapt;
- the scope of fiscal policy;
- the role of monetary policy particularly quantitative easing; and
- the likely enduring consequences of the pandemic.
MS opened the subsequent Q&A with a short quote from David’s book ‘Free Lunch’. Some 30 minutes later, we were still going; indeed, we had already exceeded our agreed time.
Huge thanks to David for his time and expertise. An inspiring morning for staff and students.